In last month’s blog, we explained what title insurance is. In this month’s blog, we explain why title insurance is so important.
What is Title Insurance?
Owners’ Title insurance is a form of insurance which ensures the property owner against financial loss from defects in title to real property.
Why Title Insurance is necessary
Simply put, title insurance is your best protection against potential defects that can remain hidden despite the most thorough search of public records. The most common title defects are:
- A forged signature on a prior deed could mean your seller did not own the property being conveyed to you.
- Mistakes in public records.
- An unknown heir of a previous owner may claim ownership of the property if proper probate procedures were not followed upon the death of a previous owner.
- A deed may have been signed by a person under age or by someone adjudicated incompetent.
- A deed may have been signed under an improper, revoked or void power of attorney.
- A deed may have been made by a person other than the owner, but with the same name as the owner.
- The testator of a will might have had a child born after the execution of the will, a fact that would entitle the child to claim his or her share of the property.
- A deed or mortgage may have been procured by fraud or duress.
- Title transferred by an heir may be subject to a federal estate tax lien.
- A person presumed dead may appear and recover the property.
- A judgment or levy upon which the title is dependent may be void or voidable on account of some defect in the proceeding.
- A deed may be voidable because it was signed while the grantor was in bankruptcy.
- There may be a defect in the recording of a document of which your title is dependent.
- There may be claims made by non-existent or divorced “wives” or “husbands.”
OVER THE LAST 24 YEARS, CLAIMS HAVE RISEN DRAMATICALLY. TITLE INSURANCE:
- Covers attorneys’ fees and court costs.
- Helps speed negotiations when you’re ready to sell or obtain a loan.
- Eliminates delays and technicalities when passing your title on to someone else.
- Reimburses you for the amount of your covered losses.
Expert Title Services Jupiter
Florida National Title can help you with all of your title insurance needs.
Florida National Title has years of experience guiding Florida homebuyers through the real estate purchase experience and has helped them solve the problems that come up in the process. We will decipher the “legalese” and explain what we need and why we need it each step of the way. The blogs to follow will address specific issues to guide buyers to better understand the process and to help them avoid many of the pitfalls. Call us at (561)408-0729 or visit us at.
Florida National Title Services, LLC
250 S. Central Blvd., Suite 101
Jupiter, Florida 33458
© Copyright 2017. All Rights Reserved.